Monday, May 23, 2011

The Screen Door Saga

The wife wanted screen doors. Three in fact but let's start with two. She likes the idea of the wind blowing through the house creating a cross breeze through the kitchen. The screen doors were bought at a big box retailer. I believe it may have been Lowes. They cost $88.00 each which was reasonable. Well, now they need to be sealed and painted. We had one color that we could use. We have used it inside the house. It is a dark green. These doors needed some extra flare, so more colors were needed. That means two gallons of paint at $30.00 a gallon and then there is the screen door hardware. The front door was 3 inches too short and so I had to make a shim for the bottom of it. The back door isn't in place yet because I have to redesign the entire rear of the house just to accommodate it!

So, here is the front screen door.



Now let me tell you what I have to do as a result. Paint the windows and doors. Redo the entire porch and install a second doorbell because you can't ring the traditional one installed in the middle of the door if the screen door is locked! It is very fortunate that I anticipated that this day would come and I ran doorbell wire through the brick and into the basement several years ago.

4 comments:

Teresa said...

Okay, I will admit to being a blog junkie. I stumbled upon your blog yesterday through a link from another blog. Yeah, I pretty much looked through the entire thing...who needs sleep.

Awesome work!! We built our house but from scratch not from crack. I can relate to a lot of the woes.

Keep it going, I'll be back.

Kate H. said...

I was about to ask you why you didn't just buy a quart of paint for the screen door. But since a lot of other stuff needs painted now (LOL), I guess the gallon was a good idea after all. ;-)

Wrexham Builders said...

it may sound mad but scrren doors are usa thing just love them wish they would take off in the uk.

Allison said...

Classic example of why there is no such thing as an $88 screen door--you'll spend much more than that to make the whole thing work together with the framing. LOL.