Monday, January 19, 2009

More Cold Weather Crap!

When the thermostat for the pellet stove drops below 38 degrees, which it often does after running out of pellets on really cold days or nights, it registers 99.9 degrees and the whole heating plan for this place falls apart. So I have to go over to plan B which is to put this thing


within three feet of the thermostat to get it to read at least 38.4 degrees so that this



comes on. However, it turns out that on really cold nights like we had last week, I have to revert to our back up heat source



and our back up to the back up heat source



just to get the room temperature up enough to get the pellet stove to kick on! Eventually we can get the first floor up to a real toasty temperature as you can see here ....



Of course, Elizabeth running around the place adds a couple of degrees to the temperature so I make certain to take her along every day when I check on the pellet stove!

6 comments:

peterp said...

I'm somewhat surprised that no one makes a thermostat that is not prone to that issue. Of course, I don't have a wood pellet heater, so what do I know?

Anonymous said...

For a minute there, I thought Elizabeth was your back up heat source!

(Oh, golly, my verification word is "lograt"!)

Christopher Busta-Peck said...

All right! Making my house feel warm!

I'm having decent luck with slab wood so far this winter, though I'll probably buy another two loads in the spring, just so that I can have it decently dry by next winter.

Anonymous said...

Now that you have lived with Pellet heat for almost 2 full cold seasons, how do you feel about it. I am looking to install a fireplace insert soon and am just wondering what your experience has been like.

Gary said...

Winter,
The pellet stove is great. I have to put the 2nd one in still. Buy your pellets early. They were difficult to locate in November though I see Lowes now has a lot of them. We bought two tons this year at Menards. The pellets creat some dust when you pour them in the hopper and hauling the 40# bags up from the basement is often a chore. The thing would be easier to manage if we were there all the time to keep it filled up and we maintained a higher temperature in the house.

Anonymous said...

(Can't tell if my last post showed up or not) Would you be interested in a blogging opportunity? I am the social media consultant for the Dayton Home and Garden Show. We are reaching out to local bloggers to promote the event. Pls email me at lori@avivallc.com for more info or tweet me @lorifeldman. Thx.