Sunday, September 21, 2008

Falling Back and Re-grouping

Well, the home sale attempt is being postponed two weeks due to lack of response. For those of you who are following this blog, you will know that we are attempting to sell the resident home using the "5-Day Method." The whole concept is based on making the advertising look so intriguing that you get flooded with calls and have a very active open house weekend. What do you do to make the ad so interesting? You start with a price point at or below 50% of the house value. This is supposed to get you 25 phone calls by Friday evening. If you don't get 25 calls then you cancel the sale and start again. As of Friday I have had exactly 7 phone calls! Here in Dayton we have so many foreclosures that our price point isn't attracting real buyers. there are so many piece of junk properties being offered below $30,000 that our ad is lost in the sea of foreclosure sale ads. If you click on the above link you will see that the author of the book has a forum for people to subscribe to. Here you can read what people are doing and get a feel for the process if you feel you need to try it. It may not be a very good system if you have very little equity in your house. It is geared towards getting fair market value on the day of the sale. This means you won't necessarily get top dollar but then again, you won't have any commissions to pay to real estate agents who don't put forth an effort to sell your home either.

What are we going to do? We are going to take a two pronged approach. The purpose of the advertisement is to draw attention to our house. We also want the real buyers to attend our open house. I don't think retail buyers are attracted to a half price ad. I know I wouldn't be looking in that price range myself. I plan to edit all of my online free classified ads to reflect a new date. I haven't had one response from any online ad. I will also post several online ads. Some for say $88,000 so that it looks like a real estate listing with an open house date. Maybe one for an open house with no price and then the big impact ad! What is that you ask? Well, desperate times call for desperate measures. I have posted a question on the 5-Day Forum and will be interested in seeing what the "experts" say.Since these online ads will run for the next several days or until I pull them, they will test my next step. In a traditional market, when you don't get a single bite, what do you do? Lower the price. So reduce the price we will! We are thinking of changing the ad to read $100 or Highest Best Offer. That should attract people from all parts of the spectrum and I'm hoping that will jam up the phones for a few days!

I will keep you all posted .....

2 comments:

StuccoHouse said...

I sold my last house myself. I was surprised at the number of people that were disoriented because there wasn't a realtor involved even though I told them they could use one and pay them in an outisde agreement. I finally put together a little take home FAQ and a list of attorneys that specialized in flat fee sales - speeling otu for them how much they were going to save too. I sold my house very quickly, but it seems some people have a very hard time thinking outside a veru tiny box. My open house attracted a lot of people and once they were interested - they were more motivated to understand a somewhat non-typical sale. I'de be willing to put money on your open house being the kay to your sale. I'll be interested in seeing how your revised sale goes. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Being a Michigander, I understand the foreclosures and number of for sale signs. The past three months is the first time in two years there has not been a house for sale on the three blocks that make up my street.

I wish you the best and hope somebody sees what a great deal they'll be getting!

-folksy lady