Friday, March 28, 2008

The Seven Year Itch

I just looked at some old house papers and realized that we bought this place on March 27Th, 2001. Wow! It's been seven years that I have been slugging away on this nightmare. The good news is that we are so far over the hump that with about 30 days notice I could get us moved in and somewhat settled without too much fuss. The biggest obstacle is actually having the shower working and not throwing water all around the room. I still have to replace two tiles after last years plumbing blowout and I am not willing to do that until I know we are going to be there all the time and the place will be heated well above 42 degrees during the winter! We haven't decided whether to put in a free standing glass enclosure or a glass block one yet either so I may have to suspend some copper plumbing pipe on the ceiling as a track for a shower curtain for the time being until a final decision is made. Anyway, I have been instructed by the boss to work on the residence house for the next few weeks so we can put a "For Sale" sign up in the yard. I guess after seven years we are finally itching to get moved in. So when you see the skies open up and hear a celestial hallelujah chorus then you'll know we did it!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

The house market is totally down, at us in Germany and in the USA as well. So you might not sell your house within 2 years. I think: Time to put up the "for sale" sign as soon as possible...
Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Gary that is really fantastic news! You have done an incredible amount of work getting your place where it is and it shows. Congratulations!

I hope you have nary a trouble selling your home. As bad as the economy is right now, and in Michigan no less, two houses on the two blocks that make up my street sold within three weeks of one another and neither were on the market over six weeks.

So, it may not take too long to get yours sold either.

Patricia W.

Anonymous said...

i just saw your last post from 3/22. we have very similiar plastic wall paneling in our downstairs bathroom. we had to tear it out to put in backerboard for tile and it seriously was the worst mess we've had yet restoring our house. it's the 5th picture down on our website: http://oldgeorgiahouse.com/?page_id=11
love your site, bytheway. :-)
natalie

Anonymous said...

Wonderful news. Congrats on the move... I Hope this doesn't mean the blog will be coming to an end.. perhaps it will be just starting?

Even with the down economy, good houses still sell. I'm sure with your level of skill, your residence will be just fine.

kendra said...

Wow, that's huge! Good for you!

Btw, I have some glass blocks stacked in an attic space here that we're not planning to use for anything. If they might be of use for (part of) your shower enclosure, feel free to come on by and take a look. :)

Jennifer said...

Awesome! Must feel great to be this far.

Larry said...

Congrats Gary!!! It's been a long time coming. You have done such an awesome job.

When you can - go to my blog, I have something for you over there.

Anonymous said...

All right, when I hear the sound of angels wafting in from the west, I'll know that This Old Crackhouse has gone from "our house" to "our home."

Oh, yeah. I, too, have something for you-- find it on my general blog at http://stblogwen.blogspot.com/2008/03/youre-it.html.

kevin said...

Thanks for the blog, Gary. Walnut Hills is lucky to have you as a resident. BTW, I used the same trick bypassing inside baseboard corners, in one of the rooms of my house, as you did here in your Nov. 28 post. It apparently was not that uncommon at the time. :)