Wednesday, February 13, 2008

The Bride of Frankenstein

I learned a long time ago that if I have a unique idea that involves constructing something that I should make two. One for me and one to sell. This concept was applied when I made the steampunk ceiling light for the powder room. Our ceiling in that room is quite low so our light is a mere 10 inches long from top to bottom.
I installed the thing this week and put in a carbon filament bulb so that the glow is easy on the eyes. Here is a picture.



I made a second fixture which I just put on ebay to see if there is an interest in this type of thing. This second fixture is 23 inches long and has the addition of a black wooden ball to make it a little more interesting. If it sells, great. I hope it covers the cost of all the parts for both lights. If it doesn't sell then I'll make another one from some more of the old copper plumbing pipe that I pulled out of the basement and put the pair of them in our second floor hallway. I may make some table lamps and wall lights to sell also if there seems to be a market for this kind of thing.
So with that all said, I present you with the "Bride of Frankenstein."



Isn't she a beauty?

4 comments:

Larry said...

From one maniac to another -

AWESOME!!!!!

Chad said...

Maybe you should have started you auction at one cent.. maybe then it would have sold!

Gary said...

Chad,
The shade and the shade holder alone cost me more than $25 with shipping. If you add up the plumbing parts that I had to buy (since I already had the pipe) and the few bucks I spent at Mendelsons looking for wierd bits, we are looking at a material cost to produce of at least $30. I am willing to take a loss to see if there is a market for this type of item but I'm not going to give it away when I can use the fixture in our spooky second floor hallway where any decent light fixture will cost me way more than $30.00!
On a side note, 15 minutes after the auction ended, someone offered me the start price plus shipping. Ebay rules prevent me from selling it this way and why should I take the loss if I don't need to? Looks like it's going to get installed in the house until I find a better one for the location. Maybe I'll start a web page of funky light fixtures and take orders. I haven't decided yet. Why do you ask? Do you want it for your house or maybe the garage? You do live next door to the S & M Funeral home after all. I'll get worried when I see the lightning conductor go up on your roof!

Larry said...

Gary -

There is a market out there.

You need to go to the Steampunk forum. There are gobs of items on it.

I'm sure you would get a lot of inspiration for other items there as well.