Friday, May 25, 2007

Isn't She Lovely?

Here is what a tankless water heater looks like.


Yes it IS one of the recalled ones... They won't come out and check the switch until it is installed.
What I did learn (again) was that you can't connect a GFCI socket using 12/3 Romex and expect it to protect additional circuts beyond it when the additional hot wire is on a different circuit breaker. The returning current from the common white cable triggers the GFCI and it won't work! Unfortunately most people reading this will have no clue what I just said until they try to rewire their kitchen or basement.... Let me add that it is probably cheaper and easier to buy a GFCI circut breaker. Especially if you are using 20 Amp sockets. I wish I did!

While I was busy soldering pipe I decided to extend the air release so that it can double up as an exterior hot water line at a later date. I'm always thinking ahead.
Does the water heater work? I don't know yet because the water is still shut off. I guess I could turn the gas on and see if the meter moves any so I could find out if that leaks!

2 comments:

kevin said...

Is this no-tank water heater direct-to-vent? I removed all chimneys on my old house. Since the house never had a fireplace built in and they just hid old termite damage, I figured the space would make great chases. But if you do this, your hot water heater either needs to be electric or a direct to vent (or powered vent). High effeciency furnaces already exhaust via pvc through the wall if you own one. So I had to buy a direct-to-vent AO Smith, which barely vents above grade from the basement. Anyways, it looks good, Gary.

Gary said...

This vents directly through the wall. Good job I already had a hole because I wouldn't want to make one! It could also vent up a chimney with a stainless steel liner. We want all of our chimneys to be lined eventually for wood or coal burning and for two pellet stoves. We don't know what the future will be so we may need to become more primitive with our source of heat.