Wednesday, March 28, 2007

The Revenge of Winter

Here is something that has plagued me for a while;




Next to that dormer is a chimney that I have to add about 10 feet to. The box gutter is shot and that piece of plywood is to support my weight when I have to stand on that ledge to tar the roof in that area every year until I replace the slate. The water that runs off gets sucked up by the brick and is the reason why my bathroom wall is damp and peeling and also the cause of that ceiling mushroom that I showed you several months back. Well, this has caused another problem now. Below this area is a stairway to the basement that isn't covered with a cellar storm door. The doorway is boarded up and the side walls have bulged for years due to the heaving of the ground due to freezing and thawing in the winter. Not any more though. Today they looked like this;



Now isn't that special?

6 comments:

Leslie said...

Ohhhhhhhhhh.... :::insert pained scrunchy face:::

Not fun. Sorry.

Poppy said...

ut oh...

kendra said...

D'oh!!

We're just starting to take stock of the damage from our first winter here, though so far it's nothing quite that spectacular. *considers hiding the wet, eroding section of brick wall with a well-placed shrubbery and charging admission to see any resulting wall-mushrooms*

Anonymous said...

That sucks.

Our Little Bungalow said...

Yeah I don't know much, that ain't good.

Hayden said...

ooooh, s**t. sorry. very ugly.