Saturday, March 03, 2007

Pictures of Herman

Herman Volkenand acquired the "Old Crack House" back in 1887. It was bought from the children of Charles Edgar the oldest of which had turned 18 by that time and the $6500 paid for the property would have been split amongst the three children as an estate settlement. He then spent two years raising the roof, adding a bay section, elongating the front windows, modifying a closet and adding some doors on the second floor. I have already transcribed a biography about him so I don't need to repeat it here but I found three pictures of him that I have that show quite well how he aged over about 20 years.









He doesn't wear the same tie twice!
Now you have to ask yourself, "Would you buy a second hand buggy from this guy?"

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Thats so neat that you have so many pictures of him! And to answer your question, yes, I probably would buy a secondhand buggy from him, mostly because I'd be afraid of making him mad by not buying one and seeing his 'mad face.'

Chris said...

My, he looks like a fun individual.

Anonymous said...

Nice mutton-chops.

Anonymous said...

Just think, you, too, will look similar after 20 yrs of fixing up an old house.

pj said...

And the house was only about 50 yrs. old when he started. Imagine how curmudgeony we'll look after working on houses 3 times as old!