Saturday, August 12, 2006

Architectural Salvage from the source!

A local reader of this blog contacted me several weeks ago regarding possibly having a door that would fit the 101" X 36" opening that we have between the dining room and parlor. When I finally contacted her I was informed that their family owned a building that they had decided to demolish sometime soon and they would like to sell off the architectural items before they succumb to the wrecking ball. So I went along to see what was there. The doors were big, but the 94" X 33" size was not going to work. Anyway, there were a pair of sconce lights that we are going to be picking up from them. Hopefully they will work in the bathroom. I took a bunch of pictures of some of the items that they would be happy to sell off and set up THIS SITE in case anyone is interested in any of the items. I am guessing that the property was built around 1915. The woodwork is all original and in excellent condition. The claw foot tub is unusual in that it is thinner than any I have seen and the two flushing toilets are definately old, as is the bathroom sink. Don't contact me with any offers! I have no affiliation with the building other than I got to tour it and will be buying a pair of period wall lights that hung in one of the bathrooms! The email address of the contact can be linked to from the site. All reasonable offers will be considered. If you are building a new home then you might want to consider that staircase and the oak fluted column that goes with it or that front door or even those leaded glass windows! All the molding has original shellac finish and the pocket doors work! This is the first time these items have been offered to the general public. If you see something you like the contact the owners, otherwise some salvage dealer could get all of it and you will never see it again!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

OH, why are you so far away, Ohio?? That staircase is beautiful. All of it is.

Glad to see that someone recognizes the value of these items and is willing to share ;)

Joe said...

How bad is this house that it's being demolished? My god, the stuff in there is better condition than the house I'm in the middle of buying. We're up in Cleveland so we may take a road trip down there. My partner is an architect and loves arts and crafts-he's going to flip when he sees that staircase.

Ms. P in Jackson said...

Definitely cool stuff. Kim is right, my house looks like a wreck compared to this place.

It hurts to know it will be tore down. Wish there was something I could use in my Raggedy Old House.

Jocelyn said...

Thank God they are salvaging from this house. I love the huge kitchen sink.

Gary said...

This building is in a commercial zone and has been used as a family business for many years. I don't want to divulge it's location publicly for fear that things could disappear. That is why you need to contact the ownwers. It has some cracked plaster, damp basement and electrical upgrade issues, nothing that can't be fixed. However, it is an old building. If it were to be used for office space, it would be cheaper to build new then upgrade this. If you make a trip to Dayton, let us know. We can give you a "Crackhouse" tour and a free bag of pigeon poop for your effort!

Anonymous said...

Hey, houses can always be moved!!! It would be a shame to lose another one.

Anonymous said...

OMG I want about half those things, especially the staircase, pocket doors and window. We sold our farm last year and are currently renting until we find "the perfect house with great architecture that needs to be restored with love and elbow grease". Walnut Hills sounds better and better.

I live in Middletown but until recently worked at Miami Valley so I am very familiar with your area.

Anonymous said...

just found this site, some nice elements in that house, so did it get taken down or was it saved or moved? curious. Dan

Anonymous said...

I would like to buy the wood from the walls and floor joist and rafters as the house get tore down if you would like to zell it please give me a call 937-520-1530 thanks Ron