Friday, April 07, 2006

Carriage Hill Farm

We have a park near us Called Carriage Hill Metro Park. The theme is an 1880s farm and it has been restored to look like one. I take Elizabeth there quite often to see the animals since admission is FREE. Walking around the buildings, there is always something new that I notice. I won't describe any of the details but have posted pictures here of the outside and some of the inside rooms. You aren't permitted upstairs or in the basement where the really exciting quirks would be. The only thing that I think is wrong is the white walls in every room. I'm sure some would have had wallpaper and others would have been painted dark colors. Of course, unless you actually did some major renovation on a Victorian house, you wouldn't know that. The brick structure in the back of the house with the farm bell on it is a summer kitchen and a pump house. The red wood structure beside it is a wood shed.







And now the inside.
The middle room;







The Kitchen;





The front room, which has been partitioned off to make a first floor bedroom;





5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the post on the forum. We also have a farm themed metro park near us, its the Possum Creek Farm, but I'm not sure what period its suppose to be. My wife takes the kids there while I'm working on the house, so I haven't been. It too is free, no one is ever there is seems....... Cox is another on close by, its a great Nature Preserve......

Jodi said...

I love those old houses! It looks awesome!

Anonymous said...

We also used to take our children to the local restored farm when they were young. Only a short drive from home, it was called Muscoot Farm in northern Westchester County, NY. It was a "gentleman's farm" from the 1880's with a full set of outbuildings and farm animals. It, too, was free. If you wanted you could put a donation in the mouth of the cow statue to help pay for feeding the animals.
I remember it as always sunny, breezy and good times for all. It's still there, too, for anyone near there who hasn't discovered it yet.

Jenn said...

That house looks like a fine example of Shaker living. I don't think it was intended, in the renovation, to represent the typical Victorian era home.

Anonymous said...

I volunteered at Carriage Hill a hundred years ago. The walls are white -- with NO pictures -- because the folks living there were Bretheren, and did not "believe" in decorations.