Tuesday, March 28, 2006

How Old is Old?

Deborah and I had a discussion at the dinner table a couple of days ago. It was a debate really, I guess. There were three questions that we were trying to figure an answer to. The answers to these questions could change philosophical thinking as we know it. It could shape the future of all organized religions and end political careers. It could question the accuracy of radio carbon dating and even change the the age of YOUR house. History could change in an instant! So, the answer is now placed in your hands... But certainly ponder this....

Here are the three questions:

1) Which comes first? "In the beginning" or "Once upon a time"?

2) Which is older? "In the days of yore" or "In the olden days"?

3) When did "Way back when", "It must've been yonks" and "Ages ago" start?

1 comment:

John said...

1) I'd have to go with "In the beginning." If we're going with linear time, it would be hard to be earlier than the beginning.

2) I'm going with, "in the days of yore." It just sounds really old. How often is "yore" used in daily converstation. Even the word is like freaking Methuselah.

3) I guess my command of Midwestern is slipping because I have no f'ing idea what a "yonk" is. It sounds like something a pervert might do to a clown.

As for the other two, I'm afraid I can't help.