Wednesday, December 14, 2005

My math skills suck!

In the previous post about the volume of water in my neighbors basement, I am wayyyyyy off!
The dimensions of the house are 25' X 25'. The water was approx. 3 feet deep. That makes my volume calculation accurate at 1875 cubic feet. In order to figure out the volume of water though, I have to convert this to inches because there are 231 cu. in in a gallon. Since there are 1728 cu. in. in a cubic foot then there are 1728/231 or 7.48 gallons in a cubic foot.

7.48 gallons X 1875 cubic feet = 14025 gallons of water!!!!!!!!!

Holy Crap! Can you say "water bill" boys and girls?

If the owner doesn't show soon and the weather stays cold we'll have indoor ice skating for the kids!

3 comments:

Ms. P in Jackson said...

That is too weird. Why wouldn't he call back or get out there ASAP? It sounds like he wants the house condemned so that it can be tore down. I'd hate to be the one getting his water bill.

Aunt Jo said...

Just for grins I figured out what that bill would be at my current rate. I came up with a figure of $3646.50. I'm sure glad that's not my bill.

Joe said...

The lack of responsibility by some people is astounding! We keep getting the gas bill for the tenant who had been living in the house before we bought it. She never, ever paid the bill in 2 years, so it's now up to $1700-with her $200 a month government assistance credit. She never even bothered to change her address with her employer and we are still getting her pay stubs over 5 months later. We had to prove to the gas company that we didn't rack up the bill before they would turn the gas back on. Don't mess with the utilities!