Tuesday, August 16, 2005

The Master Plan

We have two windows in the bathroom. They look like this.




Here is one of the panes of art glass in the 6 paned window frame.



The master plan is to try to replicate something similar to this in our counter top for the sink. This means that I am going to have to put some broken glass into the mold when I pour the concrete. Today was spent looking for pink colored glass. I already have two shades of green (yes one is a beer bottle!) so one more shade of green should do it. I may also throw in some crushed marble from scraps of tile that were used on the shower wall. I was able to buy two vases and a two tumblers giving me three shades of pink and one turquoise for $4.17. Add $1.00 for a bottle of imported beer which I happily drank and I have most of the glass needed. Tomorrow I can search Goodwill and some thrift stores for one piece of pale green glass. Then I get to smash it all! I still have to figure out how to do the black lines though.
I have already got the mold made for the fireplace hearth and the pieces ready for the counter mold. Since I have no clue if the master plan will work I plan to make some test pieces before the main pour. If all fails then I resort to producing pieces that look like our kitchen counter. So the worst case scenario isn't all that bad. I also plan to make the fireplace surround for the bathroom out of polished concrete so today I ordered THIS BOOK.
You know what? I got to mention Beer in a houseblog again!

(to be continued....)

4 comments:

Lynette said...

Hey, I love your bathroom art-glass windows. I haven't seen anything like them before in a house - did you put them in yourself?

Scott in Washington said...

Gary,

I ordered that book yesterday. Can't wait to do my own counters - both in the kitchen and in my studio.

I have found colored glass squares to be fairly inexpensive in craft stores that cater to stained glass artists. I used to buy them for my pottery projects at the local place until a craft supply place in Portland went out of business and left a dumpster full of samples behind.

Anonymous said...

Very cool- I'm looking forward to seeing this polished concrete!

Gary said...

Yes the windows are our own doing. We didn't want to put curtains up so we decided to put in textured glass so anyone with a telescope couldn't see my pimply middle aged butt through the window at night. There is a craft store here that stocks a good range of stained glass so we went to check it out. The pink, green and black glass was really cool but cost $15 a sq. ft. I left the windows with the store for them to cut the glass because I didn't want to break the pieces. I just had to put glaziers points in and putty them properly. The glass is really neat though. We plan to use stained glass in the kitchen cabinets too but I think that will be cheaper glue chip glass though. We also plan to use glue chip glass in the three transoms that we have.