Friday, July 15, 2005

Another use for Shellac

I knew this would work before I did it so I was only surprised about how well it worked. I have some aniline tinted shellac left over from when I "stained" the dining room floor. It is a walnut color. Rather than spray paint my rim locks black and wait a day for the paint to dry, I decided to experiment with painting on the tinted shellac. If you want a steel grey original look then a couple of coats of clear shellac will do the trick. I wanted my locks to look black so as to contrast with the shellac coated doors. I was able to paint about 6 - 8 coats in less than 2 hours because the shellac dries quickly as the alcohol evaporates. Here is a picture of the lock I stripped a couple of days back when I rambled on about pointless screws.



Here is a picture of one of the rim locks I bought on Ebay after the shellac treatment. I have to dab some black paint on those screw heads to obscure them.



Talking about screws. Have you noticed that you can't find traditional screws any more unless they are made of brass? Then they cost a small fortune. Everything you find is a Phillips head screw.

Geez, a guy can't even get a decent screw any more!

9 comments:

Greg said...

Just got my black slotted head screws in the mail today. I went to 2 hardware stores, and while that had dark patina finish screws they were all philips head. I bought a box of 100 3/4-inch, black, slotted head screws from Van Dykes Restorers. I will use them for door plates and kitchen and butler's pantry hardware.

Jocelyn said...

Yes, try and get non-Japan made screws- it's impossible! They just don't make 'em like they used to. So many times screws break also and that is a pain too.

Anonymous said...

The shellac looks great. I had never thought of looking for screws through Van Dyke's- that may come in handy!

Anonymous said...

That rim lock bought on Ebay looks very nice after your shellac treatment. Do you have good experience with using Ebay for this kind of stuff?

Anonymous said...

I use black shoe polish, (Liquid) on metals I want black but don't want the painted look.

Gary said...

I have never really had any bad happenings on Ebay. A couple of people wouldn't pay for something that they bought but it was no big deal. The feedback system acts as the police.
I hadn't thought about shoe black. I have used it to antique pewter figures but not steel hardware. I expect you would have to seal it with some kind of varnish though.

Steve said...

Hi Gary

I thought the disappearance of slotted-head brass screws was just an Australian thing. I guess I'm comforted that there are others sharing my frustration!

Oh...I like your shellac/rim-lock idea.

Steve

Derek said...

I've used clear varithane on a nickel plated lamp, that had some rust showing through. It's held up fine so far. We have mostly Robertson head screws up here in Canada.

Anonymous said...

... and because they are a very canadian thing they are made here and don't break. Aside from ebing impossible to strip (the head I mean).